Friday, February 29, 2008

Is that zeitgeist I smell?

Well in response to Dr. Simon's Cybergrunge movement, I have to say, you really freaked out my morning. Envoking the spirits of Sid Vicous, Kurt Kobain Friedrich Nietzsche and Jean-François Lyotard in a smoke (or is that zeitgeist?) filled room discussing whether "Cogito ergo sum" or because everyone else does, got me stumbling through philosophy text books and burning myself on "too weak for philosophical thinking" coffee. Well, here's what came out of my brain. Postmodernism, without totally frying the minds of non-philosophy taking classmates with Kant's Copernican Revolution, et. al., is according to allabout philosophy.org " difficult to define, because to define it would violate the postmodernist's premise that no definite terms, boundaries, or absolute truths exist." (http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/postmodernism.htm). Wheres as (shamelessly copied from the evil Wiki-Gods)"Existentialism tends to focus on the question of human existence — the feeling that there is no purpose, indeed nothing, at the core of existence. Finding a way to counter this nothingness, by embracing existence, is the fundamental theme of existentialism, and the root of the philosophy's name. Given that someone who believes in reality might be called a "realist", and someone who believes in a deity might be called a "theist", therefore someone who believes fundamentally only in existence, and seeks to find meaning in his or her life solely by embracing existence, is an existentialist."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism). Now, if somebody could please tell me where I was going with this, I'd sure appreciate it because I've just imploded. Oh, yeah...now take that, my prettys, and apply them to the texts, see if they fit and get back to me...PLEASE...I need another pot of Coffee cause Derridas drank it all. And yeah, Bruce you didn't clarify anything for me. In fact, I tried to clarify it myself and got even more confused. But like one of my favorite teachers once said "you don't go to Philosophy looking for answers". I guess I should have listened.

No comments: