Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On Anime and Commercials on Veoh and Youtube

As new faculty advisor to SUNY Fredonia's Anime Club, I feel it's my duty to point out one weird side-effect of youtube's and veoh's turn to running commercials on their sites.

Check out the commercials that air during the first episode of Onegai My Melody on veoh.com:


Watch Onegai My Melody (Episode 01) in Anime View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

As I've remarked before, Onegai My Melody may well be the strangest anime ever. It puts Hello Kitty-style living stuffed animal characters in the midst of a music-oriented junior high school setting, mixing kawaiitude and crushes in equal measure. So why are the ads so adult-themed?

Contrast the sponsors for Ouran High School Host Club on FUNimation's youtube.com channel. What the heck are Cheerios and Nature Valley doing airing commercials during a full-on ikemen parody of/tribute to Hottie Paradise, Boys Over Flowers, and Nodame Cantabile?

I would have thought the shows and sponsors would have been reversed. But maybe that would make too much sense?

No comments: