Monday, November 30, 2009

Film

I'm really glad that we got to read a really basic introductory book for the film part of our class. I'm also glad that we got to hear from outside sources and their experience with film. I never really about what goes into making a movie, and what certain elements go into making a viewer feel a certain emotion at a certain time.

I have seen a lot of different types of movies and documentaries, and I never once thought about how the music influences you to feel a certain way about what may be going on between the characters. I recently watched a movie entitled There Will Be Blood which is about an oil-man and his son, H.W. It starts in the early 1900s and skips ahead a lot in the first half an hour or so. There were some pretty traumatic things that happened in the beginning, but because the director didn't give you a long enough chance to get to know, or connect with the characters, you don't feel as much emotion when bad things happen to them. This particular movie used a lot of popular classical music as well instead of having music composed for the film.

I'm glad that we had a good introductory book to read for the film portion of the class because it's easy to understand and went well with the time period we had to discuss film.

No comments: