Monday, November 30, 2009

Television

In Class we discussed where we thought television would be in the future. I think that television is trying to compete with the availability of television shows on the internet, and that in the future people will be turning to programs on the internet more to watch television than actually sitting down to watch television. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that television is going to become obsolete. I just think that a lot of people don't have the time to sit down and watch a show at a certain time.

It's hard to set an allotted time to sit down and watch a show that you may like especially if you don't have the same schedule every week. Cable companies tried to make it easier to watch the television shows that you like by offering things like TiVo and DVR so people could record their shows. If you record your show, then you can fast forward through all of the commercials - which is nice because most people hate commercials. DVR is nice and everything, but it costs extra to have it. This is another reason why I think people go to the internet to watch shows more.



Right now, it's pretty much free to watch any show you want online. If you can't find it on a free streaming site, then you can usually find it somewhere else illegally. I personally hate having to find a show to download illegally, and would much rather pay a fee to watch the shows that I would like to watch. I don't think television is ever going to go away, but I think (and hope) that eventually we can just pay a fee online to watch only the shows that we would like to watch. The cable companies have too much power and I think if networks could figure out a way to make money off of streaming their episodes online, then the popularity of watching shows on the internet will increase.


No comments: