Friday, December 11, 2009

Please recycle, your sitcoms that is

I've noticed that sitcoms have followed the same format time and time again. And I can't help but wonder why that is. How many times can the same dialouge be reformed to keep up with the times?
If you think about it, The Brady Bunch, Married...with children, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. are all based around the same idea. Similar patterns can be found in other types of sitcoms like Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World, Drake and Josh, and so on. It seems like there's just a refreshing rewrite of script each time. For example, every one of those sitcoms, I guarantee has an episode about having a crush on someone, sneaking out and getting in trouble, having to choose between friends and superiors, the list goes on. So m question is why do we keep buying into it?
I think it might have to do with every generation needing their show, so every 7-10 years, a recycled sitcom is made up for a new audience to enjoy. They are never exposed to the older series, so they never see the patterns occuring. It's just something I've noticed recently, I don't know what anyone else thinks about it.

No comments: